RSS Feed

Eating Locally – Post Op and Vegetarian

This may be one of my stranger Dark Days Meals. It is cooking now, under the direction of my husband who is cooking while I recover from my surgery. This week we were challenged to eat a vegetarian locally sourced meal. Ours will be a combination of items that I can swallow, and that he can prepare. There was a tiny bit of leftover tomato sauce made using Quaker Valley Orchards tomato sauce and local PA mushrooms. He is going to microwave it and serve it over Amish whole wheat pasta that he will make on the stove top.

Part of my meal will be heated applesauce from Quaker Valley. I have been eating some of it each night since coming home from the hospital.

Quaker Valley Orchards are 60 miles north of us. We get their fruits and veggies and sauces at the Silver Spring Year Round Farmer’s Market.

Descriptions from their website:
Applesauce – Our applesauce is homemade with our fresh apples peeled and cooked with our own cider and a touch of cinnamon, no sugar is ever added or needed! Our apple blends have our small fruit added that was frozen in season.

Tomato Sauce – All our tomato sauce sold at market is made on the farm in our kitchen with our own tomatoes. I make it in small batches and preserve it using a pressure canner. We enjoy it all winter long.

My husband will also be eating a large spinach salad that he will put together using CSA spinach, radishes and Firefly Farms Chevre, drizzled with Catoctin Mountain Orchards Blackberry Splash Vinaigrette.

He is slow cooking sweet potatoes with honey and butter and cinnamon in the oven, cooked at 170 degrees until they almost fall apart and caramelize. I can handle that as well. Swallowing is a wee bit difficult still, but I get better each day.

Obviously, I am not up and cooking, nor will I be taking pictures. I do have raw pics of the spinach and sweet potatoes and radishes from our Zahradka Farm delivery on the 17th of February. Still able to put together tasty meals using local items.

My husband will probably open a Linden claret and have a glass, while I get to enjoy Howard County well water and ice. 😉

About AnnieRie

Retired, I am following my dream of living in quiet west Howard County, a rural oasis, not far from the urban chaos, but just far enough. I love to cook, bake, garden, and travel. I volunteer at Howard County Conservancy. I lead nature hikes, manage programs and show children all the wonders of nature, and the agricultural connection to their food.

12 responses »

1. Kathleen Huffman

Glad to see you are feeling a bit better. J seems to be holding his own and I like you envy his choice of wines – I’m not drinking due to my participation in a weignt loss challenge ( I have a few cheat days that I can use though). Do love your posts

• Getting there really slowly. At least I can hold and use the iPad. We may even go for a ride Friday if I cut down more on the pain pills. The rain today meant I couldn’t walk to the mailbox. I want to go walk the boardwalk at the park off Shady Lane.

Calling Linden tomorrow. The 22nd is our first choice. Will keep in touch.

2. The sweet potatoes sound really good – can you describe a bit more? About how long in the oven? Do you cut them in pieces?

Glad to see you’re beginning to feel better.

• They were sliced thinly after being peeled. Put in a small baking dish in one layer. Sprinkled with cinnamon and drizzled with honey. Unsalted butter on top of it all. Slow cooked – my oven has a slow cook setting, hi or low. The 170° setting works as well. Cook until they caramelize, turning twice to keep them moist. They fall apart when you pick them up.

• Thanks!

I’m sure you know this, but it’s easy to make applesauce. I get apples at the fall farmer’s market for it, but then I freeze the sauce rather than can. Just peel, core and cut the apples in chunks then add a bit of good cider (apple juice will work in a pinch) and cinnamon. It doesn’t take long to cook, less than a half hour. I mash mine with a potato masher after cooking because I like it a bit chunky. The person selling the apples can help if people don’t know which to choose for sauce.

3. Interesting, I don’t get a reply button on your comment. Seems the nesting is only three deep.

I wish I could freeze more, but until we get the chest freezer and a larger generator, I am limited in space. Last year I put away mucho veggies from the CSA, and some of my tomatoes.

This year we are getting at least a lamb at the fair, and will probably take one of the deer from our friend’s, so I need a freezer. I do intend to pick at Larriland so I will be freezing more. I also need to find a pressure canner and go for it big time.

I have made apple sauce in the past, but not to freeze. So many ideas, not enough time 🙂

• Greene’s Lamb – from White Hall. Excellent. We have been buying from them for years. Nancy Greene is so nice.

4. Sweet potatoes with honey, butter, and cinnamon sound heavenly! You’ve done well with the challenge and given me some great VA wine tips–I live in VA and didn’t know about ( Glen Manor and Linden). Hope you’re feeling better!

5. Annie, I hope you are feeling a lot better. I can’t believe it has taken me this log to read you post. The weather has been inducing Spring Fever and I have been outside working a lot. My body is hurting form the winter laziness.

Your veg meal looks great. Both the tomato sauce and applesauce sauce look (and sound) wonderful and how nice they are close to you too. So glad you hubby stepped up to the challenge (under your careful guidance and direction of course)

I canned applesauce 2 years ago and we are still eating it. It was the first thing I had canned in years and years and it was a learning process as to how I would do it next time (on the thinness or thickness of the sauce) Since then I have found a great pressure canner at a garage sale. $20 and I almost fell over right there! So happy I have it and it gets more of a workout each season.

Sending healing vibes your way.

• Thanks, Emily. I want to try some easier stuff first before getting a pressure canner.

Getting better daily. We might even get out to dinner some night this week. He’s tired of being the cook 🙂

6. Pingback: Dark Days Week 15: EAST Vegetarian Challenge « Not Dabbling In Normal

7. Annie – hope you’re on your feet and eating farm fresh produce soon! Take care and I look forward to seeing what you create next week!